Today we’re swerving a bit from tradition to bring you a guest who is not a real estate investor. Jeff Thorman spent years as a general contractor, built his own company, then started his own YouTube channel, HomeRenovisionDIY, to teach people how to renovate their own homes.
Learn from his years of experience renovating in this episode. Jeff brings us incredible tips on building strong relationships with contractors – from inquiry to project close. We discuss the importance of using quality materials in any project. We even dive into some projects you should absolutely be able to do-it-yourself as an investor. As a real estate investor, you will have to complete renovation projects at some point – use this episode to make sure those projects are seamless and successful!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Learning the contractors’ perspective
- The importance in using quality materials and building long-term solutions in your properties
- Shopping directly from suppliers to save money on big rehab projects
- Creating systems to retain quality contractors
- Understanding the real cost of low-cost materials
- Upgrades to improve your rental property and decrease vacancy
- How to ask a contractor to walkthrough a project before you buy it
- How to spot houses with cosmetic fixes vs. big, expensive projects
- Newbie DIY projects anybody can tackle
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Bookstore
- Virtual Wealth Expo
- BiggerPockets Calculators
- Home Depot
- Joanna Gaines
- cost vs value report
- BiggerPockets Insights
- Marr Risinger’s Youtube Channel
Check the full show notes here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/show399